European Capital of Innovation award - Edition III
Carlos Moedas, Commissioner for Research Science and Innovation has launched the competition for the iCapital first prize of €1 000 000, which will go to the city that has most successfully experimented with new and innovative citizen-driven initiatives proving itself as a 'test-bed' for potential solutions to relevant societal challenges.
The third edition of the European Capital of Innovation award is launched.
On March 23 the European Commissioner for Research, Science and Innovation Carlos Moedas launched the third edition of the European Capital of Innovation award.
The contest is open to cities:
- from EU Member States or countries associated to Horizon 2020, the EU’s research and innovation programme;
- having over 100 000 inhabitants (in countries where there is no such a city, the largest city is eligible to apply);
- running innovative initiatives which have started after 1 January 2016;
Applicant cities will be judged on the innovative solutions to their relevant societal challenges, which they started after 1st January 2016. Cities will in particular have to prove how they created the local conditions to innovate by
- Experimenting innovative concepts, processes, tools, and governance models as a test-bed for innovation
- Engaging citizens in the innovation process and ensuring the uptake of their ideas
- Expanding the city's attractiveness to become a role model for other cities
- Empowering the local ecosystem through the implementation of innovative practices
The award will acknowledge cities willing to act as 'test-beds' for solutions to their societal challenges and experiment with new and innovative citizen-driven initiatives.
A cash prize of EUR 1 000 000 will go to the winning city; two prizes of EUR 100 000 each will reward two runners-up. The past competitions were won by Barcelona (2014) and Amsterdam (2016).
Deadline for applications is 21 June 2017, and the award ceremony is scheduled in early November 2017.
Find out more about the competition in the attached leaflet, or follow any update here:
For any questions about the competition, the dedicated helpdesk contact is RTD-I-CAPITAL@ec.europa.eu