DATE: July 2018
- User privacy and data protection are human rights;
- We have a duty of care to the people within our data;
- Data is a liability, it should only be collected and processed when necessary;
- We loathe spam as much as you do;
- We will never sell, rent or otherwise distribute or make public your personal information.
This page is used to inform website visitors regarding our policies with the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information if anyone decided to use the European Urban Knowledge Network - EUKN EGTC (“EUKN” further in the text) website.
As EUKN and its service providers collects and further processes personal data, it is subject to following national and international legislation:
- The implementation of the directive in local EU member states’ law in the Netherlands, the Personal Data Protection Act (Wet bescherming persoonsgegevens);
- Regulation (EC) 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals regarding the processing of personal data by the Community institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data;
- The EU Data Protection Directive from 1995;
- The EU General Data Protection Regulation No 679/2016 of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons regarding the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC.
Personal data collected
In accordance with current legislation on personal data protection, you are hereby informed that whenever you visit the website a certain amount of personal information will automatically and deliberately be collected, saved and used according to conditions defined in this policy.
Personal data collected and processed is provided by yourself or by a third part duly authorized by you before submission of the application by completing a registration form on the website or by opting in to receive updates on our activities (newsletter subscription for example). The information is collected in files stored in an isolated secure system, either physically stored in the EUKN premises and/or on the computer servers of the EUKN. Personal data is used only by EUKN and will not be divulged or shared with third parties for any reason whatsoever.
Personal information is collected, specifically, from the following sources:
1. The IP address you provide each time you visit the website:
Google Analytics: The personal data collected will be used to trace your path on the website as we, like most websites, use Google Analytics. This allows EUKN to produce statistics about the pages that are visited and to review and improve the overall operation of the website. Although Google Analytics records data such as your geographical location, device, internet browser and operating system, none of this information personally identifies you to us. Google Analytics records your computer’s IP address which could be used to personally identify you, but Google do not grant us access to this either. For the EUKN website, Google to be a third-party data processor (see further in text).
2. Manually entered information that can be used to identify and/or contact you:
This information can be your name, address, telephone, fax, e-mail, company address or any other information that you agree to provide when you take part in discussion forums, when you leave comments, when you request additional information on EUKN, when you make enquiries or request information to be sent to you, engage with us on social media, enter an online competition, promotion, surveys or polls, or when you sign up to our newsletters, apply to the EUKN Expert Pool, fill in registration forms or make other similar actions – this data will be used only for the purpose for which they were provided or collected.
Newsletter: If you choose to join our email newsletter, the email address (and other information-see table below) that you submit to us will be forwarded to MailChimp who provide us with email marketing services. We consider MailChimp to be a third-party data processor (see further in the text). The email address (and other information-see table below) that you submit will not be stored within this website’s own database or in any of our internal computer systems. Your email address will remain within Mail Chimp’s database for as long as we continue to use Mail Chimp’s services for email marketing or until you specifically request removal from the list. You can do this by unsubscribing using the unsubscribe links contained in any email newsletters that we send you or by requesting removal via email. When requesting removal via email, please send your email to us using the email account that is subscribed to the mailing list. While your email address remains within the MailChimp database, you will receive periodic (approximately one per month) newsletter-style emails from us.
Expert Pool: The EUKN Expert Pool database is held by the EUKN and is held and used only for the possible project-base contracting. The database is not shared with third parties.
Contact us: Should you choose to contact us using the contact form on our Contact us page or an email link, none of the data that you supply will be stored by this website or passed to / be processed by any of the third-party data processors. We would suggest that you always consider email as an insecure medium and not include personal, confidential or otherwise sensitive information within an email.
The information that we collect is used to either contact or identify you. We do not carry out any automated decision making. A table below describes the ways we use personal data:
Type of data collected
Registering for the EUKN newsletter by filling out the sign-up form
To keep you informed about the latest events/news/publications regarding urban development in Europe and the EUKN itself
Applying to the EUKN Expert Pool by filling out the application form
To create the database of experts in various urban-related fields for the possible project-base contracting
Sending us open applications for jobs/internships, and/or applying to vacancies
For the potential performance of a contract between you and the EUKN
Sending email to EUKN Secretariat via contact form and/or email links
To perform a contact with you with your consent
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
Third-party data processors
Our website does not address anyone under the age of 16. We do not knowingly collect personal identifiable information from children under 16. In the case we discover that a child under 16 has provided us with personal information, we immediately delete it from our servers.
We will only keep your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements. In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
Your legal rights
If the General Data Protection Regulation applies to you because you are in the European Union, you have following rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data:
- The right of access – that’s a right to make what’s known as a ‘data subject access request’ for copy of the personal data we hold about you;
- The right to rectification – that’s a right to make us correct personal data about you that may be incomplete or inaccurate;
- The right to erasure – that’s also known as the ‘right to be forgotten’ where in certain circumstances you can ask us to delete the personal data we have about you (unless there’s an overriding legal reason we need to keep it);
- The right to restrict processing – that’s a right for you in certain circumstances to ask us to suspend processing personal data;
- The right to data portability – that’s a right for you to ask us for a copy of your personal data in a common format (for example, a .csv file);
- The right to object – that’s a right for you to object to us processing your personal data (for example, if you object to us processing your data for direct marketing); and
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling – that’s a right you have for us to be transparent about any profiling we do, or any automated decision making.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
You have the right to access, verify, modify, update, correct, amend or suppress any personal data, and you may exercise these rights at any time by sending an email to the EUKN Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org, who will deal with your request as promptly as possible. If you do not wish this information to be collected, saved and used, you must inform the EUKN Secretariat at email@example.com. Subscriptions to newsletters can also be cancelled at any time by sending an email to the EUKN Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with us. You can do this by updating your account. Thank you.
For any further question feel free to contact the EUKN Secretariat, by using the contact email email@example.com, and by explicitly specifying your request and/or question.