Finland’s EU Presidency starts on 1 July 2019: Digital solutions in cities
From 1 July to 31 December 2019, Finland will hold the six-month rotating Presidency of the Council of the European Union. Finland is in close coordination with the Trio EU Presidencies of Romania (January-Jun 2019) and Croatia (January-June 2020). The priorities for Finland’s Presidency are to strengthen common values and the rule of law, to make the EU more competitive and socially inclusive, to strengthen the EU’s position as a global leader in climate action and to protect the security of citizens comprehensively.
The Finnish government is interested in exploring innovations based on the opportunities of digitalization. How can digitalization increase the quality of life and sustainable development in cities while continuing to accelerate economic growth? Digital Transition, and other priority themes related to sustainable urban development of the Urban Agenda for the EU will be the focus of the Finland’s Presidency in the following 6 months. The Presidency will work in partnership between different governance levels, engaging European cities and institutions to build shared ideas on digital innovation, as well as linking 14 Urban Agenda for the EU themes.
The efforts towards digitalization already took place with activities and initiatives such as European Innovation Partnership on Smart Cities and Communities, Horizon 2020, the Green Digital Charter and the Digital Cities Challenge. Moreover, the Finland’s Presidency will facilitate a renewal of the Territorial Agenda of the EU, based on the Roadmap created by the previous Presidencies.
Finland has planned the following events related to urban matters:
- Network of Territorial Cohesion Contact Points (NTCCP): 11 September 2019, Helsinki
- Urban Development Group (UDG): 12 September 2019, Helsinki
- Directors General Meeting on Cohesion Policy and Territorial Cohesion: 16 October 2019, Helsinki
- Directors General Meeting on Urban Matters (DGUM): 17 October 2019, Helsinki
- ESPON Seminar: 27-28 November 2019, Helsinki
- Helsinki Impact Conference: 9-10 October 2019, Helsinki (public event)
- Oulu Boost Event: 10-11 December 2019, Oulu (public event).
The European Urban Knowledge Network welcomes the Finnish EU Presidency and is looking forward to supporting the work of the Presidency.
Find out more about the Finland’s EU Presidency.